Pages

10/13/15

Review: Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MTc-YF0ML._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpgThree Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville (Del Rey, 381 pages)


If you've been following Bookishly Witty on facebook or twitter, you'll know that I'm just a teeny tiny bit obsessed with China Miéville's books.

OKAY, A LOT OBSESSED WHO AM I KIDDING.

Embassytown blew my mind; Perdido Street Station left me stunned (in a good way); and now Three Moments has made me appreciate even more (if that could even be possible) the richness and diversity of Miéville's imagination. Here we have stories about evil burlap sacks and floating icebergs and walking oil rigs and "New Death" and I just can't even with this brilliance.

I could go into why I dog-eared so many of the stories in this collection, but if you've read Miéville before, you won't need the explanation. If you haven't yet read Miéville, you need to start. As in, RIGHT NOW.

In terms of Three Moments, I'll just say that my favorite stories were "The Condition of New Death," "Sacken," "The Dusty Hat," "The Bastard Prompt," "Keep," and "Covehithe."

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment