Pages

4/22/15

Books to Look For (April): Science Fiction

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/PS/images/jacket_covers/original/9781597805438_15c72.jpg?width=1000Teranesia by Greg Egan (Night Shade Books, 280 pages, April 21)

Bizarre evolutionary mutations in the Teranesian island's butterfly population have drawn two married biologists and their kids to live there and do research. They are forced to leave the island, though, when civil war breaks out in Indonesia, but twenty years later, daughter Madhusree returns to pick up where her parents left off. Prabir, her brother, follows her there unwillingly. What they find is both beautiful and dangerous. This reminds me of Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy in many ways, and I'm intrigued.



http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/MM/images/jacket_covers/original/9780765332622_5cbcb.jpg?width=1000The Affinities by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor Books, 304 pages, April 21)

I haven't yet heard of a novel that tackles the "social media" topic well, so I'm cautious, but The Affinities sounds promising. In that reality, new analytic technologies can sort people into "Affinities," where the like-minded can easily talk to one another and cooperate on projects or social events. Pretty soon, though, the Affinities challenge the authority of governments and corporations, and ultimately go to war with one another. Hmmm...

3 comments:

  1. These both sound AMAZING. You had me at Southern Reach Trilogy.
    The Affinities sounds crazy, I'll definitely be looking into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teranesia sounds super cool! I'll be keeping my eye out for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teranesia sounds super cool! I'll be keeping my eye out for it at the library.

    ReplyDelete